Tel. + 49 (30) 2005949-30
Gwendolyn Sasse has been the Director of ZOiS since 1 October 2016. She is Professor of Comparative Politics at the Department of Politics and International Relations and at the School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies at the University of Oxford, and is Professorial Fellow at Nuffield College and Non-Resident Associate at Carnegie Europe. Her academic career spans the study of history, Slavonic studies and political science at the University of Hamburg and an MSc and PhD in political science at the London School of Economics. After gaining her doctorate, she first took up a post as Assistant Professor at the Central European University, and then a as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer at the London School of Economics before moving to Oxford in 2007. She has just completed a three-year project funded by the British Leverhulme Trust on 'Political Remittances: The Political Impacts of Migration'.
- Post-communist transitions (with a particular focus on Ukraine)
- Comparative democratization and authoritarianism
- Ethnic conflicts in Eastern Europe
- Migration from and within Eastern Europe
- EU eastward enlargement/Eastern Partnership