The Centre for East European and International Studies (ZOiS) is an independent, international and interdisciplinary research institute. It focuses on socially relevant academic research on Eastern Europe and shares the results with policy-makers, the media and the broader public. ZOiS is one of the Principal Investigators (PI) in the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS).
The Centre for East European and International Studies (ZOiS) - research cluster “Conflict Dynamics and Border Regions” - is seeking to fill the position of
Researcher / Postdoc (m/f/div)
starting as soon as possible. This position comprises 100% of the collectively agreed working hours (39 hours/ week) according to TvöD 13 (Collective Agreement for the Public Service) as part of the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS). The position is limited until 31.08.2023.
The Cluster of Excellence SCRIPTS assesses contemporary challenges for liberal democracy and market economy from historical, global, and comparative perspectives. It brings together expertise in social sciences and area studies in Berlin, and collaborates with research institutions as well as political, cultural and civil society groups worldwide.
The position conducts the postdoctoral project “The Liberal Script in Ukraine’s contested border regions” which is part of the Research Unit ‘Borders’ within the Cluster of Excellence. The postdoctoral researcher is responsible for conceptualising, organising and conducting the research planned within the project description. The postdoctoral project “The Liberal Script in Ukraine's contested border regions” shall analyse to what extent the liberal script is challenged in border regions in general and what this means in particular for embattled and disputed border regions.
- Coordinating and carrying out research work in the above-mentioned border regions and, within this framework, coordinating and collaborating with local researchers, who shall support the collection of data substantially
- Focusing on the day-to-day dimension of the border interwoven regional and trans-regional developments in the border regions
- Research visits to the border regions
- Collecting and analysing data, disseminating research results, and participating in workshops and conferences
- Collaborating with the researchers involved in the SCRIPTS 'Borders' research unit, integrating the project results in the further research agenda of SCRIPTS
- Completed academic university degree and doctorate in ethnology, ideally in the post-Soviet region
- Research experience and interest in the field of anthropology of the border, border area research, identities, ethnicity, translocality
- Detailed knowledge and experience with different ethnographic methods
- Proven knowledge of coordinating research projects
- Familiarity with qualitative data collection and analysis methods
- Excellent knowledge of Russian, business fluent in written and spoken English, advantage: knowledge of an additional language of the research region
- Keen interest and experience in dealing and working with different formats of presenting information (e.g. photography, art, literature)
We offer an exciting, multi-faceted and responsible position in a family-friendly research institute.
We value diversity and welcome all applications – independent of gender, nationality, ethnic and social background, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity. Applications from women* and persons with a migration background are especially welcome. Applications from people with a recognized disability status will be considered preferentially.
Please send your application documents (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and certificates) in a PDF document (max. 6 MB) Re: SCRIPTS_03/2021 to bewerbung(at)zois-berlin(dot)de before 30 April 2021, should you be interested.
Please contact Ms. Emily Kleine for any further questions: emily.kleine(at)zois-berlin(dot)de